top of page

Newlyweds Tax Checklist

Tax Tip: Tax Tip 2024-57

Summer wedding season has arrived, and newlyweds can make their tax filing easier by doing a few things now. A taxpayer's marital status as of December 31 determines their tax filing options for the entire year, but that's not all newlyweds need to know.

Report a name change

Report any name changes to the Social Security Administration. The name on a person's tax return must match what’s on file at the SSA. If it doesn't, it could delay any tax refund. To update information, taxpayers should file Form SS-5, Application for a Social Security Card. It’s available on, by phone at 800-772-1213 or at a local SSA office.

Update address

Notify the United States Postal Service, employers and the IRS of any address change. To officially change their mailing address with the IRS, taxpayers must compete and submit Form 8822, Change of Address. See page 2 of the form for detailed instructions.

Check withholding

Newly married couples must give their employers a new Form W-4, Employee's Withholding Certificate, within 10 days. If both spouses work, they may move into a higher tax bracket or be affected by the additional Medicare tax. They can use the Tax Withholding Estimator on to check their withholding and for help completing a new Form W-4.

Summer wedding season has arrived, and newlyweds can make their tax filing easier by doing a few things now.
Tax Tips For Newlyweds

Review filing status

Married people can choose to file their federal income taxes jointly or separately each year. While filing jointly is usually more beneficial, it's best to figure the tax both ways to find out which makes the most sense. Taxpayers should remember that if a couple is married as of December 31, the law says they're married for the whole year for tax purposes.

Beware of scams

All taxpayers should be aware of and avoid tax scams. The IRS will never contact a taxpayer using email, phone calls, social media or text messages. First contact generally comes in the mail. To find out if they owe money to the IRS, taxpayers can view their tax account.

More Information:

By taking these steps, newlyweds can ensure a smooth transition into their new financial life together and avoid any unnecessary complications when it comes time to file their taxes. Staying proactive and informed will help them manage their tax responsibilities effectively and enjoy their first year of marriage with peace of mind.

Ensure your first year of marriage starts off right with expert tax planning from Mark Sullivan Consulting. Our team specializes in helping newlyweds navigate tax changes, avoid potential pitfalls, and maximize their financial benefits. Trust Mark Sullivan Consulting to provide personalized, professional guidance so you can focus on enjoying your new life together. Contact us today for a consultation!

Request a free consultation HERE with Mark W. Sullivan, EA .

About the author

Mark W. Sullivan, EA founded Sullivan Consulting in 1998. He specializes in federal tax controversy representation, appeals and consulting on behalf of individuals, businesses, law, and accounting firms nationwide. In addition, he has served as the consulting and expert witness in numerous civil and criminal cases in multiple federal district courts.

Mark has an unlimited Enrolled Agents license and is admitted to practice before the Internal Revenue Service based on his extensive experience as a Revenue Officer in New York, NY, St. Louis, MO and Washington, D.C.


Copyright 2024

Mark Sullivan Consulting, PLLC.

Disclaimer: This article is for information purposes only and cannot be cited as precedent or relied upon in a tax dispute before the IRS.

Additional references:

IRS Tax Tip: 2024-57 (June 10, 2024)


bottom of page